Popular Posts

Tuesday 9 August 2011

Pulp Fiction and Forrest Gump: Which is the more enduring classic?

I recently rewatched two movies that were released in 1994, and were both nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars. At the time I thought Forrest Gump was slightly superior,because the movie showcased an era in history, the soundtrack was great, and the acting of Tom Hanks was simply spectacular. There was also a catchphrase that lived on far after  the movie.  Even now 16 years later, if I say Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get! Never once did the movie make me laugh though, it did take itself a little too seriously. On the other hand, Pulp Fiction doesn't hold anything sacred! There is plenty of violence, but it's stylized, they don't show any unnecessary gore and the campy pop-culture infused dialogue is fantastic. When I rewatched Pulp Fiction I laughed more than I remember the first time. I enjoyed Travolta and Jackson just as much  their best exchange was in a restaurant when Travolta's idiot hitman character asks Jackson "Why don't you eat pork if you aren't Jewish? " He replied "I don't eat filthy animals. they eat their own feces" Travolta remarks  Well dogs eat their own feces are they filthy animals?  Well, I don't eat dogs, wouldn't call them them filthy but they are dirty. Dogs have personality. Travolta"s comeback  " so if a pig had personality it wouldn't be as filthy"  Jackson sasses back with  " It would have to be pretty charming for me to eat it like Arnold from green Acres" and then they laugh .  You just don't see dialogue like this other than in a Kevin Smith movie. The soundtrack is fantastic as well I even like it better than Gump's

In my opinion, Forrest Gump won at the Oscars as most of the voters are older and conservative and usually prefer feel -good movies . I think Tom Hanks deserved the Oscar for Best Actor but Pulp Fiction should have won Best Picture.  Which movie do you prefer?  Enjoy the clips below



1 comment:

  1. Answered at G+...but I gotta ask: does it bother you that all the answers are at G+ and none here?

    Just curious how bloggers might look at losing traffic to G+.

    Randy

    ReplyDelete